Monday, August 14, 2006

Graham Nash Was Right

Military madness is indeed killing my country.

Last evening, Mom, Dad, Mark and I went on a sojourn of sorts to the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts. It's a brand new concert venue built right on the property where the original Woodstock was held, and it's gorgeous! I won't comment on how it took us two hours to leave the parking lot after the show was over. I also won't comment on how I didn't reach my bed until 3:30 AM and how I had to wake up at 6:45 AM for traffic court. That's another post entirely, so I'll save it for later.

Anyway. The reason for our road trip was our yearly (or whenever they're touring) Crosby, Stills & Nash concert outing...only this time we were in for a real treat since Neil Young has rejoined David, Graham and Steven for the Freedom of Speech '06 tour. While they've always been known for being a bit outspoken and left-leaning, last night's performance of new material really hit home. Their first set consisted of a few older and more well known tunes, but when they segwayed into Military Madness it was all over.

"And when the wars are over
And the body count is finally filed
I hope the man [George Bush] discovers
What's driving the people wild"

The remainder of the set ventured deeper into their thoughts on the war in Iraq, and last but not least we had a sing-a-long to one of Neil Young's newest creations, entitled "Let's Impeach the President". Google the lyrics if you feel like it; I think if I post them I'll get wiretapped and cavity-searched by the Feds.

The second set was rife with old favorites, such as "Carry Me", "Immigration Man" and "Southern Cross". It's rare that my perspective of the world changes suddenly, but sitting there with my parents and my love made the entire show a damn near religious experience as though the world suddenly made sense.

Strangely enough, it does. Talk about a revelation. I didn't even need the brown acid.

I can't wait to see them again, and I don't care what the tickets cost this time. It's not about the money anymore. It's about the principle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home